Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Polar Bear Plunge redux...

Last year I did something I'd never done before. I registered to do the Polar Bear Plunge for Special Olympics Missouri (SOMO). The event took place on Saturday, January 31, 2009, at Longview Lake east of Kansas City. The air temperature was 72 degrees, and the water was at 34 degrees. There was six inches of ice on the lake that had to be cut away to make room for the Plungers.

Overall, there were over 800 people who made the Plunge a success. Over $180,000 was raised. I had just turned 60, and it was something that certainly proved that I hadn't achieved complete sanity yet.

Well, this year I'm doing it again, and even going further. Because a friend was willing to belong to two teams, he and I are planning to plunge twice. If he can do it, I figured I can do it as well.

This year's Plunge once again is going to be at Longview Lake. We Plunge beginning at noon on Saturday, January 30. The high temperature for the day should be a balmy 23 degrees, but the water will still be at about 34. We're shooting to raise over $200,000 this year. Please help me do my part by donating whatever you wish at my Plunge web page Here... and clicking on the "Support Me" link there. There are a few pictures of last year's Plunge -- I'm the bare-chested guy with the fool's cap. It really wasn't bad at all, but that was then -- this year should be entirely different.

Thanks for all the support.

No comments:

Post a Comment